For this project, we need:
- A toy car fitted with DC motors. Mine is the BogieRuntRover from ServoCity.
- An analog camera. This helps us see where we are going.
- A servo gimbal for the camera.
- An analog video transmitter-receiver pair. Mine has a range of 2km.
- A video capture device. I recommend the Diamond VC500. This will convert the analog video signals to digital so that we can stream the video with our linux computer.
- Adafruit's GPS ultimate. Helps us find BogieRuntRover when she gets missing.
- Adafruits 10 DOF accelerometer. To give us our robot's euler angles.
- Arduino DUE. This will be the brain of BogieRuntRover.
- A pair of Xbees. This is for serial communication.
- A pair of Xbee adapters to configure and test the xbees. I recommend SainSmart Xbee adapters.
- An H-bridge. I recommend the L298 Dual H-Bridge.
- 3 11.1V lipo batteries.
- A lipo charger. I have the Turnigy Accucel-6.
- A custom shield for the Arduino DUE. Get the eagle files here.
- Stackable headers for the shield and some male and female headers.
- A few jumper wires.
Get the Arduino code from here.You might also need these libraries.
You can also download the controller JSON file (for RCcontroller): BogieRuntRover.json
Download with your smartphone and open it with RCcontroller to automatically load the controller.
See the video below to know how everything looks after setup:
This video shows BogieRuntRover in action: